Saturday, November 13, 2010

Do not fear electronics, Google and YouTube make us all a jack of all trades

 Hey, you will never believe what I did recently. Our fridge went on the fritz (new 2007 model), digital control panel blinking and ice door opening closing. Maytag wanted $100 to look and possible $200 to replace the electronic motherboard inside. So i did some research on the web, found that this model had problems with the electronic motherboard and one guy posted that he repaired his by replacing 2 bad capacitors on the motherboard with a solder pen........... I decided to try it. Even as comfortable I am with electronics, motherboards and solder irons have always scared me. Well, i bought the capacitors at radio shak for $4, had the solder iron already, and removed the old capacitors and soldered the new ones on and it fired right up..... I was stoked!.... In another electronics success story I have a friend at work that spilled a beer on his Macbook laptop last year and it turned off, never worked again for him... I asked him the other day if he still had it and he had bought another $1000 macbook and just left this one to garbage.... I offered him $50, knowing that I could open it up and clean up all the circuit boards with rubbing alcohol and taking a chance it would work. Even if it didnt I knew I could sell it for parts on EBAY for $150.. so it was a win/win. Well, i took it home, opened it up, spent 10 minutes on cleaning the motherboards and corrossion from the brew, and it fired up within 20 minutes..... So I have a nice christmas present now for xmas.. So if you have any IPOD, macbook, iphone, etc that has been dunked in a beer or swimming pool, I will gladly take it off your hands!   Brett

4 comments:

The Letterman's said...

you are a genius! So sweet to not have to hand that kind of money over to someone else!!

SassyMonkey said...

it is awesome when you can fix things yourself, there is so much info on the internet that makes it possible!
Eryn

shauna/doug said...

So glad you posted this on your blog. An inspiration to all. Figure it out and fix it yourself and save lots and lots.

SassyMonkey said...

Excellent ideas, pretty cool how you can do that.
Matt